Trials and Tribulations of a Teacher: Episode 3: Did you Find out Why?


So, I decided to post this third instalment one day early, on account of tomorrow being the first day of 2017 and I would like to start it on a less morbid and hopefully more positive note.

So far, I have covered two of the blows that I received on that bleak school day morning.

As for the bombshell that dropped before me as I was heading to class, it was a bit of news. Another colleague was recounting a story in woeful tones surrounded by sympathetic clucks and exclamations of “Aaaahs!” and “Goodness Gracious!” and the like. Instead of being a smart cookie who has learnt her lesson and would steer clear from such a scene threatening of bad news, being the idiot that I am, I throw myself in the line of fire. I discover that the cause of the hubbub was the death of a thirteen year old girl who died of food poisoning. She ate take out that was bespeckled with rat poison. I don’t know the girl personally. However, she is a representative of all the youth I work so hard to raise. She could have been anybody. I would rather not get into a rant about how almost everybody’s conscience is dead, because there’s so much to say there: from restaurant owners, to government officials, to everyone working in the field of medicine. It is too much for me to grapple with and I have to run to class and smile at my students and focus on my work. The treasure hunt will have to be postponed to another day, unfortunately.
Could you please put yourself in my shoes for 15 minutes? A mere quarter of an hour was the time that lapsed from the moment I entered the staff room looking forward to a new day teaching literature, grammar, ethics and rules of etiquette to the moment I, with head bowed down and shoulders hunched, dragged my feet to class. People accuse me of being melodramatic, making a mountain out of a molehill, and treating every mishap as if it would instigate the end of the world. But what nobody knows is that I am cursed with two things that create this Shakespearian tragic heroine out of me: Empathy and Knowledge. For some reason, God, in His infinite wisdom, decided that I would be better off if I were endowed with tons of empathy. Consequently, I cry for anything and anyone in any kind of plight, from the stray cats and dogs that are kicked by oblivious passers-by, to students who are being bullied or abused in any form, to people losing their loved ones in brutal accidents. My second curse comes in the form of the daily experience I go through at work. I am a teacher of middle and high school students at school and of young adults at a language center teaching English as a second language. As a result, I see the little ones who were taught by their parents or older siblings to take the law into their own hands and apply the laws of the jungle, rather than seek a teacher’s help when they are unjustly treated in any way. I see the youth who have totally lost hope on this country, and whose sole goal is to leave it with no plans of return. They don’t even have a plan; they just want to master English, get a certificate, pack and go! If I help them master English, am I being true to my mission statement of building a generation that would rebuild this country and give it the boost it needs to become fit as a human habitat once more, or am I conspiring against my country by helping all those youth emigrate? (Don’t take me for a patriot, though. It just happens to be the place where my friends and family are, so I might as well try to make it a decent place worth living in.)
Now that you have tried walking in my shoes and seeing the world through my eyes, do you still think I am melodramatic?


This was my last post for 2016. I promise you, if you check out the blog tomorrow, you will find an entry on a much brighter note. Have a hilariously Happy New Year’s Eve, everyone!

Popular posts from this blog

تعلم الأنجليزيه في مليون خطوه (عنوان مضلل)

Labeled

روتين... بقلم يمنى فتحي