Hope

I've watched the movie "Shawshank Redemption" a handful of times and each time I watch it I stop at one particular scene, where Red (Morgan Freeman) tells Andy (Tim Robbins) that he -Andy- should stop speaking about hope; because hope is a very dangerous thing. The first time I saw that scene, I didn't quite understand what he meant by that. How can hope be dangerous? Isn't it a good thing? It is, right? Only now that I understand the true nature of hope. The dangerous illusion that is called hope.

Sometimes we face situations where hope is non-existent and you forcefully give up any ideas that you might have for yourself. There's no room for hope whatsoever, and you consciously and subconsciously accept that as a fact, then by any means hope finds its way to you; you take it. You accept it. Now imagine that and tell me: What will happen if you lose it? If you lost the very thing that keeps pushing you to go further and further? Let me tell you what you might feel: Desperation and agony. We put up with a lot of bullshit in life only because we're hopeful. Only because we aspire for a better future. But when those hopes vanish, we scatter in the wind like sand. We fall into the bit of oblivion and live our lives as mere moving objects. Soulless creatures. How many of us are like that, or were like that for as long as we have been alive?

Be careful when you give someone hope. You never know how desperate they could be. I myself have been in that position once before, I was hopeless and pretty much hanging by the slightest strings of hope. But alas nothing was for me, therefore, me to hang on to. Until that moment a person came into the scene and gave me all the hope I could ask for and more. That person gave me all kinds of promises I wanted to hear, and then I woke up one day to the realization that all of those promises were nothing but empty ones. I can't put words to describe how I was back then. Disappointed maybe, or maybe I was shattered to a million broken pieces.

From that day forward I knew that I have to be realistic and not give in to the luring illusions of people's promises and their false "hope". Say what you want about hope but you can never deny the despair someone might feel when it's gone. Be optimistic all you want. I am not telling anyone not to be so, but be careful... Please. When you give someone a promise that means more than just mere words. It means that you give them hope of something that might change their life in a way. Whether you believe otherwise or not does not change the fact that hope can indeed change someone's life even in the slightest of ways. 

All of us have the ability to shatter someone else's life with what we say. Because not everyone is as resilient as others. And from what I believe and from what I've seen the greater portion of people are more eager to have someone lying to them with false hope than to have none at all. 



Popular posts from this blog

تعلم الأنجليزيه في مليون خطوه (عنوان مضلل)

Labeled

روتين... بقلم يمنى فتحي