Trials and Tribulations of a Teacher: Episode 1: Remind me again … WHY?

(Disclaimer: Although all the anecdotes I recount are true stories that I have personally witnessed, or been part of, they revolve around people I have met in different places where I have worked. I have not experienced them all at my current working place. They are rather a compilation of stories I have been accumulating through the years.)

Many a time I wake up from a reverie only to discover that I have been daydreaming about being at one of those support group meetings I see in Hollywood movies, but this one is not for cancer or suicide victims or alcoholism or any other such addictions, for my addiction is singular in nature. I imagine the moderator asking if anyone would like to share; and amidst awkward silence, nervous smiles, fidgeting in chairs and shuffling feet, yours truly would rise to the challenge. Without hesitation, I would raise my hand; and after the moderator nods in my direction, granting me permission to go ahead, I would stand up with my shoulders hunched (for my posture has long given up on “uprightness”), clear my throat, take a deep breath (or rather sigh deeply) and begin: “Hi, my name is Cherry and I am a teacher of English!” – to which the circle of empathetic listeners would respond in a monotonic lifeless chorus: “Hi cherry!” I would then proceed with my story that reduces my audience of fellow downtrodden teachers to a mass of snivels and sobs. Finally, they would give me a standing ovation and a group hug. With the boulder lifted off my chest, I would go home feeling like Gal Godot in Wonder Woman.
The story that instigated the daydream today is actually three-fold. I arrive at school earlier than usual, on one of the rare occasions that I didn’t have to spend half an hour in bed when my alarm goes off on a soliloquy revolving around the theme of why I have to wake up at the crack of dawn (when half the citizens in the country, including my very own beloved students, are still fast asleep) to battle weather conditions, impertinent money grubbing taxi drivers, 4 flights of stairs to my staff room (while carrying my personal handbag, lunch box, laptop and briefcase) only to be met with the lowest paid job in the history of the world, nonchalant insolent students, demanding bosses (bordering on a hybrid between the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland  and Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada), truly supportive colleagues who are either jealous of me or who sneer at me (probably because they are jealous of me) and parents who believe that I have a magic wand in one hand and a whip in the other (that’s a topic for another day). Anyway, I arrive at my desk, huffing and puffing and grabbing the stitch in my side. I stow away my bags under the desk and consider the prospect of arranging a treasure hunt vocabulary game for my first lesson, when I overhear a snippet of a conversation among several colleagues.
Everyone had a horrified expression frozen on their faces while they listened intently to a fellow teacher (Let’s call her Miss. X) ranting about something. When I jumped on the bandwagon, I put the pieces together. It turns out, Miss X’s teenage son and his friend (Mr. Y and Mr. Z respectively) had gone missing for several hours the previous evening. Mr. Y had called his mum explaining that they had taken a cab, whose driver asked permission to take a little detour to fill up on gas from a specific station. They graciously agreed. Then, the cab broke down and what with the driver being an old man and both teenagers being truly chivalrous, they decided to help the driver push the cab to the station, which was supposedly a few feet away. They ended up pushing the cab around for 45 minutes. When the driver was assured that they were both out of breath, he snatched their phones (which they were using as flashlights because they were passing through a badly lit suburban area) from their hands, jumped into the car, magically started the engine and drove off! Miss X. gets a telephone call after several hours that the apple of her eye is filing a report at the police station. Needless to say her nervous system had already been frayed.
So far, the story is your ordinary horrific mugging story. Luckily, no weapon was even used to threaten the gentlemen. However, the tears that were, at that stage, only dancing at the corners of my eyes rushed down my cheeks like an avalanche when I heard Miss X conclude her story saying, “Involuntarily, I found myself hysterically instructing the son I spent years raising to the ethics I uphold, to NEVER EVER help a stranger in distress AGAIN!”
 I flashback to a dough eyed, plump 8 year old girl telling every adult who would lend her an ear that she was going to become a teacher in order to help raise a generation of youth who will grow up to be productive members of society. That naïve little girl is locked up inside me, beating at the walls of my soul, screaming, “Remember why you toiled for years until you became a teacher!”
Riddle me this: Why do I get out of bed at the crack of dawn every day to sow, in the young fertile souls of the students I cherish, the seeds of ethics that are destined to wither in the climate of the jungle that we call our world?

Did you notice that I mentioned above that there were three reasons why I started daydreaming in the fifteen minutes before the bell rang for first class? Well, that’s a story for another day…

Popular posts from this blog

تعلم الأنجليزيه في مليون خطوه (عنوان مضلل)

Labeled

روتين... بقلم يمنى فتحي