Stigmatized: A Long Overdue Rant

Every time someone asks me what I study I get nervous. Should I tell the truth or lie? Should I polish it without getting looks of disgust or empathy or try to overlook the question by joking about it? It's a long frustrating process of keeping my dignity intact. Here in Egypt, you either live with a chip on your shoulder or you don't. You either carry a stigma or you don't. A piece of paper with the word "certificate" written on it means more than you do. Unfortunately for me, I do carry a chip on my shoulder, and it shows every time someone asks me about my education. I find myself in a tight corner, explaining myself. The stigma of Higher Institute for Social Work. Although anywhere in the world it definitely is NOT something to be ashamed of, but here in Egypt we prefer to disagree.

To those who don't know: The profession of Social Work is one of the most prestigious professions in the world. Not for less than the true effort made by men and women, serving their respected societies and helping as many people as they can in different fields every day. But here in Egypt; it's the place you go to because you're a failure. You simply couldn't go to any "respectable school" You Ignorant Idiot! Despite the true effort made by men and women in almost every governmental facility. Despite the fact that ALL the paperwork at ANY place that REQUIRES paperwork done goes through Social Work's office. We do not have any respect from our peers or... From anyone actually. You can simply count those who understand what we do.

Did I point out how embarrassed people make me feel whenever they ask about my school? It's not that I am ashamed of it or anything, more than I've grown to hate the stupidest question on planet earth: Oh, why did you go there? I didn't study enough in High School... You were that stupid, huh? How's it like to have wasted your entire future, kid? No you insignificant idiot. I did not waste my future. I was not a failure. If anything I was fed up with how stupidly my society thinks and how condescending it is.  The majority of people here are single-minded about almost everything. You're absolutely no one if you're not an engineer, a doctor or come from a filthy rich family.

Again I would like to state that I endured a lot of crap from everyone I know for not graduating high school when I should. Like come on I'm not the only person in the world that failed to graduate high school twice… Eventually, I did! Scoring as high as 59.6%. Then again, I admit I wasn't a good student. That simple. Not. A. Good. Student. Doesn't mean my IQ is lower than a freaking turtle. Doesn't mean I'm mentally challenged. If it means anything, it means that I wasn't a good student. I didn't study – by choice – and I am to this day not convinced in Egypt's educational system and its process. Now if you think your own educational status is bad; imagine failing secondary school diploma in a country that its education is not even ranked.

Although, in its defense: I've been taught a lesson or two. 1. No matter how smart you think you are, you should act like you're the smartest. Because you are not. 2. Failure shows you your worth and who your real friends are. I recall some of my family members were glad that I failed. I always thought that they liked me but apparently they didn’t. One or two even gloated about how much of a screw-up I am and that they got into college and all.
Nowadays I stand tall among those who finished high school. I wasn't on the top of the charts but for God's sake I did it. I got into college. Not a good one but I did it. I've found more success in my life in a short period of time than they will ever find in their entire lives. That's something really harsh to say and I might get heat for it but I don't care. Been holding in that rant for too damned long.

With that out of the way, I can say that I have been humbled down by life. Life has broken my back and then fixed it and I'm sure as hell a different cat now because of that, but I can't help but show some of the old cat every now and then. If there's any moral out of this babble it would be that you should never let anyone underestimate you or what you do. No one can take away who you are because you don't have a useless piece of paper. Education is important but it was never meant to be locked in a certificate. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

تعلم الأنجليزيه في مليون خطوه (عنوان مضلل)

Labeled

روتين... بقلم يمنى فتحي